I was going to be ALL prepared for today. Yup. My cookies would be made, I’d take a photo, all would be well. Aaah, the best laid plans of sluts. Instead, I’m sitting here eating chocolates, and wracking my brain for a recipe to share.
Since Jz has opted to call it Holiday Goodies, I’m opting to post my fabulous Penuche Fudge.
Now, some will say fudge is hard and fiddlesome and annoying but I’ll just jump in here and say NO! No, this recipe is really easy, not tiresome, not hard. It will take you around 25 minutes (or less if you lay all your ingredients out to hand first.)
**note–I’ve NEVER added the nuts to this as no one in my family likes them that way, so they are totally optional. I also usually double this recipe.
1/2 cup butter (REAL butter)
1/2 cup HEAVY cream
1/2 cup each white and brown sugar (pack brown sugar into the cup)
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup pecan halves, toasted
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray
2. In a large saucepan, bring the butter, heavy cream, sugars, and salt to a rolling boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
3. Allow to boil for 5 full minutes, stirring constantly, then remove the pan from the heat.
4. Stir in pecans (if using) and vanilla.
5. Add in the confectioners sugar all at once and stir until smooth and well combined (note: I had an issue with lumps, even pre-sifting. These days I use my hand mixer to combine (making sure that it’s ready to rumble before I add in the confectioners sugar–it makes the fudge lovely-smooth and it’s faster!)
6. Pour/spread mix into the prepared pan and allow to cool to room temperature. Cut into 1″ squares with a sharp knife. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
This stuff is SUPER sweet and goes well with a hot cup of tea. Alternative uses include spreading the finished fudge while it’s hot onto cookies (we make a pumpkin cookie that tastes awesome with this on top!).
That’s it from here….but the GCE is not over! Go visit these other participants to see what everyone else is doing!
Little Monkey (private blog, so Jz is posting for her)
Just remember, Dec. 10th lasts a whole 24 hours — and goes across international date lines! So if there’s nothing posted, don’t grumble. Just go back later. 🙂
UPDATE: an hysterical picture from our friend and fellow pervie, LadyP…that we thought would be amusing to add to the cookie exchange of naughty cooking bloggers: